An excellent article on the opening of the 2013 season, from the Summit Daily in Colorado. Looks like it’s time to get out in the woods!
One thing that Arizona mushroom eaters may not want to hear is that a few people in the northern and central Rockies are reporting significant gastric distress after eating the aspen bolete, Leccinum insigne. It’s of course not deadly poisonous, but apparently it can ruin your night if you’re sensitive to it. Another reminder to take it very slow when trying a mushroom for the first time, eating only a bite or two in the first 24 hours, and not overdoing it thereafter. This common, popular, delicious bolete is not responsible for any illness in its Arizona range, to my knowledge, but let’s be careful out there!