This recipe for vegetable cream soup with morels comes from the Swiss dairy farmers’ marketing board. Looks great, and pretty easy too. I suspect it would be especially good if you could get cream from Swiss dairy cows, but we will make do with American when we try this.
I have translated the recipe below from the French, with some small adjustments.
Soupe aux Morilles
6 oz. of small fresh morels, rinsed
Can be replaced with 1/2 oz. of dried morels, soaked and properly drained.
About 1/2 pound (8 oz.) diced mixed vegetables
Carrots and cauliflower are suggested by the original website, but many others will work.
1 quart of vegetable broth
2 egg yolks
4 fl. oz. whipping cream or heavy cream
Salt and pepper
Small cabbage or parsley leaves for decoration
- Sautée the mushrooms in clarified butter for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add vegetables, and sauté another 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the egg yolks and cream, stir into soup, then heat to just below the boiling point.
- Season and serve immediately with crusty bread.