Fall and winter mushrooming in Arizona

Home Forums Fungal Forays Fall and winter mushrooming in Arizona

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Christopher May 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Christopher May
    Keymaster

The epic 2013 monsoon season has come to a close, and the cold and snow are settling on our favorite hunting grounds in the high country. And so the A
    [See the full post at: Fall and winter mushrooming in Arizona]

• #1833 Reply

Mike Dechter

Found 2.5 pounds of oysters in the Verde Valley today. Not bad for late November!

• #1834 Reply

Christopher May
    Keymaster

That’s excellent Mike! Along the river bottoms, on cottonwoods, I presume? Post some pictures!

I bet the flush is going to continue for a little longer, after the heavy rains we’ve just had. My cousin’s place in Cordes Junction got almost 4 inches in the last 3 days.

I may try to come up for a quick outing later this week. Happy hunting.

• #1835 Reply

Mike Dechter

Yep, the riparian areas. I found a few oyster flushes but only on tree stumps. I’m guessing on cottonwoods, but I couldn’t tell you for sure.
    Oysters found growing in the Verde Valley 11/24

I also found a dead alder (?) with what appeared to be a fan paxillus growing all over it. I’ve never come across this before. Arora’s bible didn’t have much info on it. If anyone can confirm or educate me on this one I’d appreciate it.
    Fan paxillus?
    gills of suspected paxillus

• #1838 Reply

Christopher May
    Keymaster

That’s more like it! Nice! I am going to have to go looking for oysters tomorrow or the next day.

• #1841 Reply

Christopher May
    Keymaster

There’s a lot of private land along the Verde. You can stay legal with the aid of some good maps at the Verde River Greenway site. These maps also show where trees are growing.

Verde River cottonwoods in the fall

• #1844 Reply

Christopher May
    Keymaster

Here’s a page of Podaxis pistillaris recipes:

http://www.khumbi.com

• #1836 Reply

Mike Dechter

Try these
    Pleurotus populinus

Fan Paxillus?

Fan Paxillus? Gills